Please note that this post may contain affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward me a small commission – at no extra cost for you.
When you want to hire a psychic online, what do you look for? And is an online psychic reading different from one that’s done in person?
When psychics and mediums first became popular in the Victorian era, a medium that charged for their gifts was seen as a fraud. Those that gave their gifts freely, however, were less likely to be scorned than those who were paid.
Why did this happen? It was a mix of cultural gender norms and the idea that a spiritual gift wasn’t worth payment.
At that time, women generally did not work. Any woman who brought in money after they were married was seen as disrespecting her husband or, worse, the culture at large.
The Victorian era was one of many societal rules, and*/+ refusing to follow them had actual repercussions. Gossip about your “bad” behavior could affect your whole family, so no one wanted to step out of line.
So a woman that worked was seen as suspicious and different, the sort of person who didn’t care about societal norms. And even back then, the majority of psychics and mediums were women.
So if a medium charged for their readings, they were not only performing religious services outside of the Christian norm, they were also acting out against the gender norm when they requested payment.
Can Psychics Charge For Their Services Now?
Of course, since that time women have gained the right to vote, to work, and to eschew gender norms without being cast out from society. Women are more often not only working, they are becoming the primary or sole breadwinners!
So why do we still look down upon a psychic, witch, shaman, reiki healer, medium, or any other spiritual worker that charges for their gifts?
All businesses have costs. They cost time and money, plus taxes and if they have a store where they do their readings they have those costs as well.
In this blog post, I want to explain why you should pay for psychic readings. Plus, I’ll go into detail about what a psychic does, and how to find a reputable psychic that isn’t going to scam you. This is your beginners guide to psychics!
Should A Psychic Charge For Their Readings?
If you believe that psychic mediums are real, with real gifts that offer actual helpful information for your life, then this is a no brainer.
Anyone who offers you a valuable service should be paid for their time and supplies. A psychic has bills to pay and mouths to feed, too.
There are many types of psychics and each one specializes in different kinds of readings. A psychic can answer questions about love, health, fertility, friendships, work, and life in general.
If you don’t think a psychic should charge for the energy and time they put into a reading, ask yourself this: If you were doing psychic readings full time, would you want to be paid for them?
What To Expect When Hiring A Psychic Online or Offline
Make sure you have questions picked out in advance. Some good questions for the psychic would be:
- When will I get pregnant?
- What will my soulmate be like?
- When will I find love?
- What does the year ahead have in store for me?
- Should I try to get a promotion or look for a new job?
However, while it’s best to have specific questions, you should go into a psychic reading ready for anything. If a psychic is authentic, the information they tell you doesn’t come from them but from the spirits they consult. Those spirits might have the answers to your questions, but they might not. They might want to discuss something else entirely.
It’s best to think that you’ll receive the information you need rather than the information you want. Sometimes you need and want the same information, but sometimes that’s not how it works.
You also shouldn’t go to a psychic with the intention of controlling or guiding the session. You are paying the psychic for their expertise and time. If you try to control it, you may end up with nothing and no spirits to speak with.
If you let the psychic do their thing, though, you’re more likely to have a successful session. You just don’t want to frustrate the person doing your reading. High emotional responses can make spirit communication even harder than it already is.
Plus, if the psychic is a fraud, being controlling will probably lead you to reveal to much information to that psychic. In that case, you’ll convince yourself that the fraud is real when they’re actually just parroting what you told them. Don’t let yourself be manipulated by fake psychics this way.
How To Spot An Authentic Psychic And Avoid Frauds
- An authentic psychic will be able tp provide details about your life, your past, or your question without prodding you for more information. Sometimes this information will seem odd or unusual, but those bits are what reveal a true psychic.
- You may not hear a code word that you had with your loved one, but you will be given other information that identifies them.
- Ask the psychic if they mind if you take notes. Taking notes will make it easier for you to review the information in a low-stress environment so you can see the forest for the trees. Sometimes when we are sitting with a psychic, you will forget things about your loved ones that you will remember later. Your notes can help you keep that information ready for when you do remember.
- Know the difference between a psychic and a medium, and know which type you have booked time with. All mediums are psychics, but not all psychics are mediums. A psychic receives intuitive information about you and your life, but a medium can willfully contact spirits of loved ones that have passed on.
- If a session with a psychic doesn’t feel right, you have every right to leave early. You don’t have to sit there and entertain a fraud. And you should request your money back if you suspect someone is a fake psychic. You may not get it, but you should.
- No real psychic will ever predict deaths, tragedies, lottery numbers, or tell you that you need to return more to heal something in your life. Those are all sure signs of a fraud.
- Real psychics will not increase their fee with each visit or require that you buy other merchandise from them.
How Much Does A Psychic Reading Cost?
The cost of a psychic reading really depends on the psychic. A popular or famous psychic with many years of experience can charge $1000 or more for an hour reading. Someone who is just starting out may charge only $25 for an hour.
Either of those people, and any of the psychics in between those two levels of expertise, can give very good readings. Often, though, the cost of a psychic does reflect their ability and experience. Price doesn’t always determine quality, but it does reflect how much confidence a psychic has in their abilities.
If you’re looking for psychics and psychic mediums at the top of their field, you will probably find their fee to be between $100 and $500 an hour.
How To Hire A Reputable Psychic
When you are ready to hire a psychic either online or in real life, consider these variables first:
- What can you afford to pay? Decide your price before you hire a psychic.
- Where will you be hiring from? If you are going online, you’ll have to choose a reputable website. If you’re going offline, you’ll have to find a respected psychic in your area.
- Do you need a psychic who has more experience with relationships, family issues, or money questions? Some psychics do have specialties, so ask around before you hire someone.
- Before you book a psychic, you should search online to see if there are any reviews of their readings or news stories about them. This is a great way to figure out if they’re a fraud or not before you purchase their service.
What Are The Best Websites To Hired A Psychic Online?
The two best websites for psychic readings are
You can also find psychic readings on Fiverr! This is a fun option if you’re looking for an affordable reading or if you want to try out multiple psychics before settling on one.
I hope that this post has helped you figure out how to hire a psychic and what to look for to avoid fraud psychics.
If you’ve ever hired a psychic online before, please leave a comment below and tell me how the experience was! Did the psychic answer your questions? Did you learn something new about a loved one that passed?
Emma is a mom, a wife, an eclectic witch, and dead but dreaming.
Latest posts by Emma Kyteler (see all)
- Can You Be Born A Witch? (Pagan And Witch FAQ) - November 18, 2019
- Can Anyone Become A Witch? (Pagan And Witch FAQ) - November 15, 2019
- How Is Witchcraft Practiced In The Modern World? (Pagan And Witch FAQ) - November 13, 2019