Please note that posts on this site may contain affiliate links
Times of harvest, like Mabon, are always a great time for a kitchen witch to put more care into the foods you cook and eat.
Mabon has many traditional foods and activities that encourage gathering the family and cooking up some kitchen witch staples like fresh baked bread, stews, and more.
Traditional Mabon Food And Drink
With so many foods ready to be harvested, Mabon brings many delicious tastes and smells.
Generally, any food that you associate with autumn is seasonally appropriate for this holiday.
A kitchen witch, though, might care more about what they serve. Below are a few of my ideas to bring witchcraft into your holiday meal.
Plan A Mabon Feast
These foods can, of course, be eaten separately at any time during this season.
But for Mabon, I encourage kitchen witches to invite a few guests over and put loving energy into the foods they cook.
Alternatively, ask your guests to each bring something.
If your guests are pagans or witches, you can even ask them to put an intention into the food they bring.
Decorate your house with Mabon decor, and enjoy the company of your closest friends and family.
Mulled Mead And Wines
Mulling, or warming spiced alcoholic drinks, dates back at least to the Roman conquest of central and northern Europe.
The practice has become less common over time, but this is still a well-loved tradition for autumn and winter in many areas of the world.
You can mull your own mead and wine easily with a crockpot.
This is a tradition best shared with a group of friends and loved ones.
When making your mulled mead, consider the correspondences of the spices you are adding.
They will guide your intentions to bless those drinking the mulled drink.
|Cinnamon||Spirituality, success, healing, protection, prosperity, good luck|
|Anise||Calming, good luck, protection, psychic awareness|
|Orange||Love, divination, luck, money, happiness|
|Cloves||Good luck, prosperity, friendship, stopping rumors, love, sex|
|Honey||Binding relationships closer, sweetening relationships and people, fertility, prosperity|
- Mulled mead
- Spiced Orange Mulled Mead
- Hot Mulled Mead
- Mulled Wine
- How To Make Slow Cooker Mulled Wine: The Easiest, Simplest Method
Fresh Baked Bread
Mabon is in large part about harvesting grain.
That’s why this is an essential time for baking magick into bread.
Bread can hold any kind of magick within it. What you bake into the bread will imbue each loaf with magickal power.
As you knead or stir, use that time to meditate on what you want for your loved ones in the coming year.
Place all of your love and best wishes into your bread, and that power will bake into it.
Anyone that eats your bread will then be blessed with your love and magick.
- Homemade Autumn Bread
- Pumpkin Autumn Bread
- No-Knead Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
- Savory Stuffing Bread
- Pumpkin Spice Bagels
- Honey-Squash Dinner Rolls
- Pumpkin Swirl Bread
- Pumpkin Scones with Berry Butter
- Autumn Pear Bread
I love working with apples. They are magical fruit.
Don’t believe me? Cut one in half, and you’ll see the pentagram of apple seeds within.
Apple recipes can be used to weave love, longevity, friendship, healing, and beauty into the lives of those that eat your food.
- Baked Apples With Salted Caramel Sauce
- Cinnamon Apple Pie Bread
- Fall Harvest Baked Apples
- Caramel Apple Crisp Bites
Pumpkin Spice Recipes
Colder weather means pumpkin spice everything!
The spices that make up a pumpkin pie spice mix represent autumn perfectly.
They are warming, cozy, and remind us to slow down and be present in the moment.
You can make your own pumpkin spice latte, but there are many other recipes that a kitchen witch can spice up.
- Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Overnight Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
- Spiced Pumpkin Pancakes With Cornmeal
- Keto Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Pumpkin Martini
- Pumpkin Ice Cream
- Pumpkin Whipped Cream
- Pumpkin Creme Brulee
- Pumpkin Cake Roll With Cream Cheese Filling
With similar flavors and spices as pumpkin pie spice, chai is in when the weather gets cold.
A good chai
adds warmth to your morning caffeine kick. It’s naturally sweet but also spicy, in all the best ways.
Tea magick is simple and effective, perfect for a kitchen witch that doesn’t have much time.
Other Traditional Mabon Foods
Research the correspondences of these foods to get a good idea of what to include on your Mabon dinner table.
- Broad beans
- Butternut squash
- Nuts (I love the variety in this nut gift basket!)
- moodymoons, V. (2017). Mabon with a Kitchen Witch: 10 Traditional Foods for the Fall Equinox – Moody Moons. Retrieved 7 August 2020, from https://moodymoons.com/2017/09/21/mabon-with-a-kitchen-witch-10-traditional-foods-for-the-fall-equinox/
- Mabon. (2020). Retrieved 7 August 2020, from http://greenhaventradition.weebly.com/mabon.html
- Modern Tips For The Modern Witch. (2017). Retrieved 7 August 2020, from https://witchtips.tumblr.com/post/167533529575/apple-correspondences
- Mulled Mead – It’s Not Just For Viking Christmases Anymore. (2020). Retrieved 7 August 2020, from https://www.menofmead.com/mulled-mead/
- Seasonal food calendar | Seasonal food | Food in season | Seasonal food recipes. (2020). Retrieved 7 August 2020, from https://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/food/seasonal-food-calendar-71128