Please note that this post may contain affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward me a small commission – at no extra cost for you.
Last Updated on
Fantasy depictions of witchcraft tend to have a historical tie to them. Rather than relying on Latin spells and eyes of newt, modern witches use technology and even emojis in their spells.
One important development for modern witches is the internet, which has allowed us to not only communicate and learn from other witches, it has allowed us to grow our ranks. While it’s true that we don’t rely on converting others, I can’t tell you how nice it is to have so many other witches to talk to.
Emoji spells are a particularly novel change from the witchcraft of our ancestors. Emoji spell-making is simple. Emojis are letters or symbols that represent a phrase or a concept. Distill intent into emojis, similar to pre-made sigils. Emoji magic is fun and quick, and even a beginner witch can work with them.
Witchcraft is a craft that must adapt with the times or it will surely die out. There are some witches that prefer traditional magic, and that is fine too. It’s important to hold onto traditions and history, and to touch base with tradition when you’re doing a particularly important spell.
But if you can upload a sigil to be charged by millions of others via the internet, why not do so?
The modern witch has one foot in the past and one in the future. They see the benefit in the knowledge that others have given us, but they are also looking to innovate and pave their own way.
Another change is that modern witches tend to be more solitary than the witches of the past. They care less about starting up covens and more about personal magical improvement.
Other things that modern witches do:
- Modern witches are often willing to do hexes and curses, though some still don’t dabble in negative magic.
- Modern witches can make altars to their deities online, on Pinterest or in an Evernote notebook.
- Modern witches are aware of cultural sensitivities and do their best to avoid appropriating other cultures.
- Modern witches may usually be liberal, but can come from many different backgrounds and hold many different political beliefs.
- Modern witches often don’t have to hide their beliefs or practices, which means their practice can flourish and be shared with the community.
- The modern witch has access to thousands of books, blogs, and articles to help them grow and learn in witchcraft.
- Modern witches can learn about witchcraft by watching videos on Youtube about witchcraft, paganism, Wicca, and more.
We witches live in unprecedented times, where the worst most witches will have to deal with is someone rolling their eyes at them.
We also live in sensitive times. Whereas witches of the past would take rites and customs from other religions without considering context or the feelings of those that made those rituals, now we try to be more sensitive. We sometimes fail, but when we do fail many of us will address that.
The freedom of modern witchcraft has helped to create powerful, empowered men and women who know that they are in touch with and can have control over the universe. This freedom has made better witches out of us, unless we specifically tried to avoid becoming better.
Witchcraft is practiced on the internet, in the woods, in our homes. We offer herbs and carry crystals with us to the grocery store. We can go to yearly pagan festivals and start up new covens.
It is a good time to be a witch.
Emma is a mom, a wife, an eclectic witch, and dead but dreaming.