Please note that posts on this site may contain affiliate links
Last Updated on
When you go to the new age store, do you sometimes stare at the pretty bundles of sage? They’re wrapped up intricately, sometimes with other dried herbs like lavender. It’s such a pretty sight, but they leave you with questions.
What do you use that sage for? What is the purpose of sage, and when should you burn it?
Sage is a common herb used in cooking as well as magic. The practice of burning herbs for purification is well established in many ancient cultures, including what is called Smudging. Smudging is a Native American cultural and spiritual practiced (but it’s not practiced by all Native Americans).
Smudging specifically refers to the Native American practice. If you are not involved in those communities and cultures, what you will be doing is simply called burning sage or smoke cleansing. A modern witch should be sensitive to other cultures and should never steal terms that are sacred.
It’s also important to source your sage ethically. Don’t buy white sage unless it’s been cultivated. White sage grows easily from seed, so you can grow your own or source it from others that do. If you buy from unethical sellers, you run the risk of furthering the problem of overharvesting of wild white sage plants.
The Benefits Of Burning Sage
- Burning sage purifies the body and rooms of your home from spirits, bad energy, and even nasties like bacteria, viruses, and fungi. Actually, burning medicinal herbs in general helped remove 94% of airborne bacteria which kept a space clean for at least two days.
- Burning sage can help to enhance your intuition. The plant helps to heal your spirit.
- Sage is great for cleansing objects like tarot cards and crystals, opening them up to new energies and preparing them for use.
- Sage brings mindfulness to the boring task of cleaning your home. When done regularly, burning sage can make cleaning into a spiritual practice that brings you closer to your higher self or the gods.
- Sage has a calming effect and can help with concentration and focus.
When To Burn Sage
Smoke cleansing with sage can be useful at any time, but there are times when it may be particularly helpful.
- After a death in the family
- After a breakup
- When you are cleaning your house
- When you first move in to a new home
- Before you leave a home to move somewhere else
- When you buy anything from the thrift store
- When you need to cleanse a tarot deck or crystals
- If your home feels haunted
- After a negative person visits your home
- At the new moon for new beginnings
- During the changes of the seasons
- During meditation
- After there has been an illness in your home
- After an argument
Of course, the best time to burn sage is any time that you want! These are just my suggestions for times when burning sage is most sorely needed.
The Magical Properties Of Sage
- Sage is sacred to Jupiter / Zeus
- Promotes wisdom and good luck
- Builds emotional strength
- Heals grief
- Grants wishes
- Used in magic for immortality, protection, and wisdom
- Associated with Jupiter and the Moon
- Associated with the Crone
- Its nature is masculine
- Sage’s element is Air or Earth
- Scent Profile: Woody, Herbaceous, Sweet