Please note that posts on this site may contain affiliate links
Last Updated on
We are halfway through the year and we are coming up to the second period of Mercury retrograde in 2019. From July 7 to July 31, we will be in a period of misunderstandings, tech and machines breaking down, and general bad luck. For instance, you may be dealing with a broken laptop right now!
This chaotic time will be especially hard for Leo personality (source) and Cancer personality types (source), who will feel distracted and thrown off course. Promises may be broken, things could be forgotten, and car problems are more likely. Travel safely!
Mercury Retrograde Dates
The upcoming dates when Mercury will be retrograde are as follows:
- July 7 to July 31 (Mercury retrograde 2019)
- October 31 to November 20 (Mercury retrograde 2019)
- February 18 – March 9, 2020 (Mercury retrograde 2020)
- June 17 – July 12, 2020 (Mercury retrograde 2020)
- October 13 – November 3, 2020 (Mercury retrograde 2020)
- January 30 – February 20 (Mercury retrograde 2021)
- May 29 – June 22 (Mercury retrograde 2021)
- September 27 – October 18 (Mercury retrograde 2021)
Mark these dates in your calendar! It’s always good to be ready for them, so you can start doing cleansing and blessing spells well ahead of time.
Mercury Retrograde Meaning
So what does it mean when Mercury is in retrograde? The term retrograde comes from the Latin word retrogradus, which literally means “backward step.”
When a planet is in retrograde, it looks as if it is moving backward when viewed from the Earth. It’s an optical illusion caused by the Earth’s rotation and the speed of orbit around the Sun of the other planets. It happens when Earth moves faster around the Sun than another planet, that planet appears to travel backward as compared to the stars.
When Mercury is in retrograde, for many people, things begin to go bad. It seems like a string of bad luck:
- Your car breaks down
- You lose your wallet
- You fry your computer
- You break up with your significant other
- You fight with friends
Mercury is associated with the Greed god it was named after. Mercury the god govens transportation and communication. When the planet travels backward, its power to positively influence those things it governs is stifled.
It’s a time when one should be more cautious when speaking or travelling, double checking things, and maybe putting off bigger decisions until the retrograde is over.
What NOT To Do During Mercury Retrograde
- Don’t accept a new job, and avoid doing any interviews at this time. Communication issues will hamper your chances of success.
- Don’t buy technology or install new tech accessories. Hold onto that new stick of RAM until the retrograde is over!
- Drive less. Car problems are very common during Mercury retrograde, so when you can, walk or use your bike. You’ll save money by not having to repair a blown tire or damage from a crash!
- Don’t start a new business. Communication issues will make things turn sour.
- Don’t move homes. You may find that what seemed like the perfect home actually had many issues!
- Don’t travel away from home. Cancellations, postponements, and delays will hound you!
- Limit large purchases. You’ll probably end up with buyers remorse!
The Positives and Negatives of Mercury Retrograde
There are many obvious negatives associated with Mercury retrograde, but there are some positives too! Here are the pros and cons of Mercury retrograde:
Positive Aspects of Mercury Retrograde
- Brainstorming: This is a time of great creativity. Ideas will take new twists and turns.
- Reflection: Issues from your past will come into a new light. Clarity and resolutions will follow.
- Organization: Mercury Retrograde is the perfect time to declutter, sort through old clothes, organize files, and deep clean.
- Planning: If you’re considering starting a business or new project, this is the time to slow down and really plan it out. New details and information will pop out that you hadn’t noticed before.
- Research: For those who are writing a book or trying to learn something new, this is the time to really do some deep researching.
- Going with the flow: This is the perfect time to practice letting things go, learning how to focus, and increasing your patience. Maybe take up some meditation so you can stay relaxed.
Negative Aspects of Mercury Retrograde
- Contracts and agreements fall apart
- New jobs become jobs from hell
- New customers for your businesses end up being nightmare customers
- It’s hard to write or say the right thing
- Meetings and appointments end up cancelled, delayed, or taking forever to finish
- Long distance travel is more dangerous or more annoying, with delays, items being lost, unexpected weather problems, etc
- Computers, phones, printers, and all tech end up going bad or losing data
- When shopping, what you thought was a great deal ends up being a scam or more expensive than it should have been
- New roommates that move in during this time will be absolute nightmares
- New home bought at this time will have unexpected problems and need expensive repairs
- Cars break down more easily
- Arguments are much more likely
- Miscommunication! Nothing will be coming out of anyone’s mouths the right way.
I hope this Mercury Retrograde survival guide has helped you learn how to survive and thrive during these trying times!
Are you sick of the bad luck that this retrograde season can bring? Check out these funny astrology shirts that were made just for you:
Is It Mercury Retrograde Moth Unisex Tank Top$37.50 – $43.00
Is It Mercury Retrograde Moth Women’s Crop Top$39.00
Is It Mercury Retrograde Moth Short-Sleeve Unisex T-Shirt$24.50 – $30.50
Is It Mercury Retrograde Moth Eco Tote Bag$44.00
Is It Mercury Retrograde Moth Mug$22.50 – $31.00
Is It Mercury Retrograde Moth Premium Pillow$38.00 – $40.00
Is It Mercury Retrograde Moth Bubble-free stickers$7.00 – $8.50