Please note that posts on this site may contain affiliate links
The color white has been used to signify spirituality, peace, and purity in many cultures. The white color is a pure neutral color, with no warm or cool hue. The closest shades are silver and gray.
The spiritual meaning of the color white includes power, purity, protection, and health. White is associated with the Great Mother Goddess of ancient cultures and also represents feminine energy. The color white represents freedom from evil.
It is the practice of several belief systems to wear white for spiritual purposes; this has been done by Christians and Pagans alike. In witchcraft, you can wear white clothing when working with magic for purity or to bring about peace.
Positive Connotations Of The Color White
White is a symbol of purity. Wearing white clothing is also a practice of many religious groups, including the Catholic Church and many Christian churches. The color white represents innocence as well as purity.
The color white is an all-purpose symbol throughout history, used in dress, paintings, and jewelry for its immortalizing qualities. White can be worn to make you feel more safe or protected and help repel negative influences.
White has these positive spiritual correspondences:
- Purity. White is the color of physical, spiritual, and mental purity.
- Protection. White is the color of protection from all evil forces and negative influences, including spiritual negativity such as the devil.
- Wards off any negative energies or influences. White can be used to ward off evil spirits, negative thoughts, bad dreams, superstitions, and bad luck. White can also be used to ward off the negativity that may come into your workplace or home space daily (e.g., negative coworkers or bosses).
- Faith. White is a symbol of faith or faithfulness in the Christian religion. In the Wiccan religion, it’s the color most associated with spirituality and the ability to connect to higher powers.
- Joy. White is also the color of joyfulness, and it can be used to encourage peace or happiness in another person or a group of people.
- Hope. White is the color of the dove, which is an ancient symbol of hope in the face of adversity.
- Divinity. White is the color of the highest spirit, representing spirituality in its purest form. There are no muddied colors or shades of gray to interfere with its power and ability to connect with the divine.
- Innocence. White represents innocence or purity of spirit and mind.
- Power. White is a color of power, strength, and auspiciousness when used in a positive way. It is used to help break down the barriers or walls that prevent you from achieving your life goals.
- Magic and spellwork. White symbols can be used for spells, magic, and witchcraft to create a protective atmosphere around the practitioner (the magician/witch).
- Spiritual entities. The supernatural, such as Faeries or angels, tend to have a white coloring to their wings.
Negative Connotations Of The Color White
Some cultures associate white with ghosts and death. In these cultures, white has a mixed spiritual meaning. While it is associated with death, it is often also associated with rebirth.
Other negative connotations of the color white:
- Coldness and sterility. White can indicate the coldness of one’s soul or the lack of personality.
- Perfectionism. White is often associated with perfectionism or having unrealistic expectations for others or oneself. It’s entirely possible to be too perfect, which causes the person to become too self-conscious and take on a negative view of their life.
- Boring and plain. White is also associated with being boring, plain, and having no personality. In a practical sense, white can be viewed as boring as it is a complete absence of color.
- Sterile and clinical. White can be viewed as sterile or clinical in nature because of how often we see white in medical settings.
- Emptiness. Sometimes white is associated with emptiness or being devoid of thoughts, ideas, emotion, and passion in one’s life.
- Mediocrity. White can also be associated with being ordinary and mediocre because of the lack of color in it.
- Conformity. White can also represent conformity and being a follower rather than a leader type of personality.
What The Color White Means In Other Cultures
White is the symbolic color of death, mourning, and rebirth in Hinduism. In astrology, white is used to indicate an air-element planet. There is a white host or bread in Christianity which symbolizes Christ’s death on the cross for our sins. In Egypt, the color white was associated with the god Osiris; his body would be wrapped ceremoniously in white linen after death.
In many cultures, a white shroud is worn as a symbol of purity. When a woman marries, she wears a white gown as a symbol of her virginity.
The color white is associated with death and physical and intellectual purity in Judaism as well. In Finnish culture, white represents the cold and the winter season.
In some Asian cultures, white represents happiness and prosperity. In China, white has been associated with mourning since at least the Qing Dynasty and is used in ghost festivals and while working with spirits. White is a traditional Chinese color for funerals and burial robes; it symbolizes death and mourning in Japan.
The Color White In Dream Symbolism
Seeing the color white in your dreams can symbolize death, purity, and rebirth. The color white represents a new beginning or the end of an old path.
In the dream world, you are likely to see bright blinding lights. The white lights may be symbolic of something or someone important in your life that is about to take place, such as a new job, a death in the family, or a wedding. White is also a color that signifies honesty.
The color white also means calmness and peace. If you see someone wearing white in your dream, this is usually a sign of good fortune, if not happiness.
To see white jewelry in your dream signifies success and good fortune. Dreaming of seeing the color white in a negative light, such as a dirty or stained white fabric, suggests issues about purity or feeling dirty.
In Eastern cultures, the color white is a symbol of death or mourning. If you dream of seeing Asian women wearing white mourning clothes, this can also represent widowhood.
To dream that you are wearing white clothing in a dream can also mean that you need to purify your life and be more responsible. To dream of wearing a white uniform indicates that you should be more honest or responsible in your work. If you dream of seeing people wearing white clothes in a dream, this can signify that you are being called to a higher purpose by the people in your life.
A white dog in a dream can symbolize your vulnerability. To dream that a white dog is barking at you signifies that someone is trying to wake you up to something in your life. If the dog is white and fluffy, this also represents your vulnerable side.
The Color White In Fairy Tales
In fairy tales, the color white is symbolic of goodness and purity. In “Snow White,” the evil queen sends the huntsman to kill Snow White. The huntsman fails; he finds her but cannot bring himself to kill her in cold blood. Instead, he takes her to the dwarfs, where she is restored to life. Snow White stays young and beautiful because she never sees her evil stepmother again.
The color white is also symbolic of marriage. In many fairy tales, the princess needs to marry to fulfill her dreams.
In legends and fairy tales, you are likely to see a pure white horse. The white horse represents purity and innocence; it is also a symbol of good luck. This can be seen when a hero comes riding in on his white horse to rescue the damsel in distress.
The Color White In Astrology
In astrology, the color white represents an air element planet. The air element rules communication and feelings. It is the color of intelligence, thought, goodness, and balance.
The air element planets in astrology are Jupiter, Neptune, and Uranus. Jupiter is associated with happiness, optimism, and prosperity. Neptune rules the mind and emotions; it is the color of spirituality and magic. Uranus rules the spirit world; it can be associated with psychic abilities or spiritual enlightenment.
Using The Color White In Witchcraft
In witchcraft, the color white is used for magic to bring peace or as a protective charm. You can also use the color white in healing spells. Cleanse yourself of negative energies by dressing in white during your spell casting and asking to be surrounded with white light.
White candles can be used in place of any other color in a spell. This is because white is a neutral color that can represent any desire, emotion, or intention. White represents the energy of the mind and spirit.
White or silver jewelry can be used for protection or to represent the moon in magic. Wearing white also symbolizes being pure and free from impure influences that are not good for you. If you value yourself, then wearing white can be a sign of your self-confidence.
The color white is connected to the spiritual world. White is also associated with ghosts. Many cultures, such as those in China, Korea, Japan, and Africa have festivals where spirits are honored or celebrated. It’s common to wear white and use white objects during these festivals.
White Crystals And Their Spiritual Uses
You can use white crystals to cleanse your home of negative energies. White crystals tend to have magical properties of cleansing, healing, and protection. Other properties of white crystals include enhancing spirituality and connecting with the moon.
White quartz can be used to magnify the powers of other crystals. This makes it a great gem to use in healing spells. It can also be used to protect your aura, purify your energy field, and help you focus your intentions.
Moonstone represents the moon and is used in witchcraft for attracting money and creative inspiration. It is also used in spells to make people fall in love with you. Moonstone can help you gain psychic ability and be connected to the spirit world.
Calcite is used in spells for protection and purifying the aura. It can also be used to attract love. It is said to be the stone of eternal love and is used in spells to enhance fidelity. White Calcite can be used as an all-purpose cleansing and protection stone. It is excellent for use when doing spells for protection, purification, divination, good fortune, money, and psychic abilities.
White Tourmaline can be used to cleanse yourself of negative energy and acts as a protection crystal. When you are wearing it, you will have a clear mind and will not get sick easily. It can also be used for general protection.
White Mookaite stones are used in spells to invoke light and cleanse the body. When you wear this stone, your energy field will be protected and cleansed. White Mookaite rocks are also used to transform negative energy into positive. They can be good stones to use in any type of magic that you do.
Selenite is used to help you access the spiritual realm and is very helpful in meditation. It can be used to clear your mind and make it easier for you to find peace within yourself. Selenite crystals are good stones to use in spells for courage, purification, protection, and truth.
During the full moon, we call upon Hekate to assist us in clearing our past, releasing our fears, and opening ourselves to new possibilities. We ask her to help us gain clarity in our lives, to help us transform our inner worlds, and to allow us to move forward with courage and confidence.
It is said that Hekate helps us to overcome obstacles and challenges that stand in our way, and to achieve our goals. In addition to being a benevolent Goddess, she is also a fierce warrior. When we summon her, we invite her to help us take charge of our lives, to lead us into battle, and to fight for justice.
I am an eclectic witch - I've been practicing since 1974. As a student of the occult, working with astrology, tarot cards, runes, and numerology, I found that this was a very comprehensive and well written text on working with Hekate during the full moon. Highly recommended. - Gail Sager
Great read - a must have for anyone interested in working with the Goddess during the full moon! Highly recommended! - Luis Meyer